Which is a better idea? To book your clients on pre-set departure UK tours or to suffer the slings and arrows of some extra work by creating a tailor made program that matches their interests, time frame and budget—the FIT.
For first and second time visitors, a London-only or a 7-10 night extended tour, will often start a love affair with Britain that will last for years. Once smitten these soon-to-be anglophiles may well say yes to a proposal that’s based in 2 different hubs for 3-4 nights each. With jet lag parked in the countryside they will then hit London bright eyed, bushy tailed and ready to get the maximum out of the rest of their holiday.
Other advantages of a customized program include:
- Being able to take a much closer look at THEIR preferred corners of the UK and at a pace of THEIR choosing.
- Staying in smaller hotels that match their expectations.
- Leisurely visits to stately homes and gardens that THEY want to see.
- Enjoying lunch in pubs that date back to the 17th century.
- Dining in gastro pubs or at the famous Pudding Club.
- English Afternoon Tea in award winning tearooms.
- Slipping into the heart of England through the alternate Birmingham gateway. It’s possible to be enjoying a coffee and a leg stretch in a beautiful Cotswolds garden about 60 minutes after landing; and it certainly starts a trip on a positive note.
- Shaking the dust off the history books with 2-3 days of private driver guiding.
- Timing the visit to coincide with York’s Viking Festival, the Tulip Weekend at Pashley Manor, the 404th staging of the Olimpick Games in Chipping Campden, Bog Snorkling in Mid Wales or 2 days at the Scottish Quilting Championship in Edinburgh. And there’s plenty more where they came from!
The good news for you is that you can fully justify a higher commission rate for a trip you can design for customers who will come back for more AND tell their friends to talk to you about their own UK tour plans.
The news gets even better when you apply this creative flair to one of the many untapped niche markets on your doorstep. A small group of 12-15 can generate air/land sales with a $40,000 sales tag. What are you waiting for?
Paull Tickner, creator of Special Interest Britain, is an expert in developing customized niche travel programs for the United Kingdom and Ireland. Check out his website at www.customgb.co.uk and email him at email@example.com