9 Reasons Why Most Salespeople Are Not Successful at Prospecting, Part 2
5. Thinking social media is your answer. Social media is in no way, shape or form today’s flavor of the month marketing strategy. It is “real” and it is here to stay. My warning is not to solely rely on this strategy in hope that it will lead you to the Promised Land. It won’t. It is merely another cog in the wheel to help you let others know that you are alive and that you may have something of value to offer.
6. Not allocating the proper commitment of your time. Thinking about prospecting is not prospecting! Prospecting happens when you engage! Too many agents allow the day to unfold on its own. In truth, this is what happens more often than not, but it still is a good idea to allocate specific hours of the day or week to seek new opportunities in the form of prospects.
7. Failing to realize your prospects don’t care about you. I must say this again and I will even put it in capital letters. PROSPECTS DON’T CARE ABOUT YOU. Quit sending messages that wax eloquently about who you are and how great your company is. Focus on ways you can help your prospects achieve their goals and objectives. Show them how you can take the pain away. Get out of you and into them.
8. Not making your messages about what the prospects need. I don’t know if the better word here is “want.” Need vs want. Which is more powerful? It might very well be “want.” In either case, this spells research. Find out what they want/need by asking them, and follow up by giving it to them.
9. Thinking that prospecting is a waste of time. This thought process seeps in when your efforts do not pay immediate dividends. We all are living in a world where we seek immediate gratification. We want things now. We expect things now. We become unhappy when we don’t get them now. The truth is that not all prospects will become paying customers, nor should they. Your job is to find, isolate, cultivate and reinforce relationships with a handful of people who will be grateful that they are contributing to you and your family’s eating habits. This will take time.
Mike Marchev has lots more to share with you. Email him today to receive a Special Report titled, “THE BEST ADVICE I EVER GAVE TRAVEL PROFESSIONALS” at email@example.com Be sure to write the word “advice” in the subject box, and while you’re at it, include what you enjoy about reading Mike’s column.