Have you been looking for a way to really get your business name out there in a bigger way and firmly establish yourself as the go-to expert in your niche? There is no better way to do that than to be published and featured as an expert on a high-traffic website or publication.
Content marketing is always a great way to raise your expert profile, but a lot of travel professionals aren’t quite sure where to get started with something like this. Finding places that accept guest posts, editorials, or (even better) advertorials isn’t always easy.
Since I know you are busy growing your business and taking care of your fabulous clients and their vacations, I thought I might compile a list of a few places that not only accept guest submissions, but quite often actually pay for them!
Keep in mind as you are working on reaching out to places like this that most of them are not going to allow you to write something that is an advertisement for your services and includes all sorts of “click here to start planning your vacation” links, but they will allow you to mention your business and your expertise. Most will include a bio box that will give a link back to your web site.
Check out these resources and see if any of them might be a good match for you:
5 Best Things: 5 Best Things is looking for contributors interested in writing articles and reviews about a variety of topics. Other available categories for list articles are cities, restaurant, world, food, recipes, health, science, entertainment, and more. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $15.00 to $130.00 depending on topic and type of piece written
- Topics: Technology, travel, food, money, economy, jobs, current events, style, and more
Abroadio: Abroadio is looking for people who want to share their amazing experiences and unique adventure activities while visiting underrated travel locations. Writing samples are required. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $60.00 for 1500 words via Paypal
- Topics: Underrated travel destinations and unique adventure activities. Fun and unusual activities experienced Malang, Indonesia – Bali, Indonesia – Cusco, Peru – and Yucatan, Mexico.
BootsnAll: BootsnAll is a community of independent travelers with online travel guides, tips, and resources, reaching 3.6+ million travelers per month. Ranks high in Google so if an article is accepted, your bio and website may get a good bit of exposure. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $50 per article
- Topics: Travel such as entertainment-oriented feature articles, expert travel articles, etc.
Dallas Single Mom: DSM is currently looking for writers with a unique story to tell on the topic of parenting/single parenting, time saving tips, family travel, life balance, family lifestyle, and more. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $25 to $150 per submission.
- Topics: Family, travel, parenting, and more
Desert USA: This site is searching for 1200-1500 word articles that focus on adventure, travel, desert lore, southwest arts and crafts, natural (wildlife) history, and cultural history in North American desert regions. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $50 for each article + 3 to 5 photos.
- Topics: North American desert
GloHoliday: A travel site covering Europe, Asia, the Americas, Africa, Australia, and the Caribbean, reaches thousands of unique visitors on a monthly basis through 103,000 social media followers and 1,300 mailing list subscribers. While Gloholiday allows up to 5 of your own original images in each article, images are optional. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $40 for 800 to 1500 word article, edited and $3 per image
- Topics: Travel resources – anywhere in the world including festivals, holiday destinations, hotels, flights, and travel tips.
In The Know Traveler: ITKT is seeking people interested in writing about travel photography, international music, adventure, family, and working with a travel agency. Do you have a particular interest in travel writing? Check out the submission guidelines posted here. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $3 for a blog post of 150+ words and $10.00 for 450+ word story
- Topics: Detailed pieces that teach readers something practical about travel and the nuances about a particular destination.
Love Live Health: Seeking writers for health, love, and lifestyle content including travel. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: Unlisted
- Topics: Health, love and lifestyle
The Expeditioner: This is a very popular worldwide travel site for the avid traveler. Their articles feature some of the best travel writers in the world, as well as travel news, commentary, insight, and videos. These articles include daring and suspenseful adventures across the globe, informing you of the varied faces of the world! Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $30 per 1,100 to 1,300 word article
- Topics: Travel and adventure
Theme Park Tourist: Theme Park Tourist is seeking contributors who can write entertaining and unique articles about theme parks. In particular, they’re looking for topics related to Disney, Universal, theme park history, Walt Disney World / Universal Orlando “alternative” guides, the unusual side of Disney, “Behind the Scenes” at Walt Disney World (and other theme parks), and new attractions to watch for. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $0.05 per word + you’ll be eligible for bonuses of $50 & $500
- Topics: Theme parks
Transitions Abroad: Transitions Abroad is seeking new and experienced travel writers to create inspirational and practical planning guides for traveling, working, studying, volunteering, and living abroad. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: $50 to $150 (800-2000+ word articles)
- Topics: Traveling, working, studying, volunteering, and living abroad. Cultural travel, culinary travel, internships, international careers, and more.
WestJet Magazine: WestJet is a Canadian travel-lifestyle publication looking for writers for their website and print magazine. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: Fees are determined on assignment
- Topics: Q&A, profiles, features and destinations, travel and lifestyle topics. Write about what to see, where to visit, what to buy, where to stay, and share tips and service-oriented advice.
Working Mother: Reaching 2.2 million readers worldwide, WorkingMother is the only national magazine for career-committed moms. Their mission is to provide working mothers with home and work advice including solutions, resources, tips, and ideas. Their readers include full and part-time moms as well as sidelined moms who work and are entrepreneurs. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: Pay varies according to topic and article length.
- Topics: Topics center on working moms as well as related home and work issues; products; entrepreneur moms; family health; child care; and children’s fashion and fitness.
Zafigo: Zafigo is a travel guide for women, by women. They are looking for writers who can contribute articles on traveling in Asia and the Middle East – specifically topics that help make it easier, safer, and more enjoyable for women when traveling for professional and leisure purposes. Click here to learn more.
- Pay: Unlisted
- Topics: Travel topics for women that related to making traveling in the Middle East and Asia easy, safe, and enjoyable.
Lori Hardegree is a social visibility expert with TheVisibilitySolution.com and is the creator of the Visibility Marketing System, a proven step-by-step program to show you exactly how to stop being the best kept secret in the travel industry and start attracting new clients easily and consistently. Click here to download a free copy of her “99 Ways to Attract New Clients” checklist and receive weekly marketing and visibility strategies right to your inbox!