How to Stay Committed to Your Business
When some people are ready to set out on their own and assume the role of entrepreneurship, they often turn to travel, as it sounds so appealing.
When starting your own business it’s often easy to get yourself started, but a lot harder to keep yourself going when things become challenging. Here are ten tips to help you stay committed.
- Set goals. Without goals, there is really not much reason for you to be in business. If you want to stay connected to your business, it helps to make yourself realize why you went into business in the first place.
- Keep goals in mind. You started your business for a reason. You need to keep that in mind so you don’t get weighed down by the day-to-day interruptions of your work. Keep little pictures or other memorabilia around that remind you why you’re doing this is the first place.
- Be flexible. There is not a one-size-fits-all method to success; you might have to try a lot of things before you find what works for you. The key is to be flexible and willing to try new methods when things aren’t working for you.
- Be persistent. When things are not working out you might want to change, but you can’t give up on everything so quickly. You have to be willing to keep trying and keep going even if things aren’t going well.
- Make it fun. We all want to do things that are fun, and shy away from things that aren’t fun. Make sure the avenues you pursue are not only profitable, but enjoyable to you. If you have stuff you need to do that isn’t as fun, try turning it into a game.
- Find supportive people. It is a lot easier to stay committed to something if there are people on the sidelines cheering you on. Take time to talk to people who are supportive of your business. If you don’t have many, try finding people like you online and at local classes so you can encourage each other.
- Get help. If you are like most people, you probably think you can get your business going on your own. And if you are like most people, you probably can’t. Starting your own business is a big job, and it is perfectly normal to need a little help or guidance. Try to find a mentor who has already been successful in your area to guide you and give suggestions. They will also be a constant reminder that what you are trying to do is achievable.
- Review what you have accomplished. If you’re feeling like you want to give up or just feel beaten down, take out a pen and paper and write down what you have accomplished since you started your business. Even if it is just little stuff, write it down. By the time you’re finished you’ll probably feel better realizing how much you have accomplished. Then keep the list and review it and update it every so often to keep yourself going.
- Expand yourself. You’ve probably found that when you have a new idea or project, you get very excited about it. Try to constantly expand yourself by going to seminars, reading eBooks, getting newsletters, and doing other things to keep yourself coming up with new ideas and getting new projects. The more new things you do, the more excited you’ll be about just doing your work.
- Stay positive. A positive attitude goes a long way in keeping you motivated. Take steps to keep yourself looking on the bright side of life and work and it will be easier to keep yourself going.
Mike presents a business-building webinar on the third Thursday of every month sponsored by AmaWaterways. To receive a complimentary invitation send Mike an email with the phrase “AmaWaterways” in the Subject Box. You will also receive a link to the recorded version.
For information on Mike’s 6-Week Online Selling Course, email Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “sales course” in the subject box.