Here is the long and the short of it. Professionals ask for the business. Amateurs do not. The choice is yours. Are you a pro, or are you a wanna-be?
Here are a few more facts for when you gather up the courage to ask for the business.
- Some people are going to think you are pushy no matter what you do or say.
- Some people are going to tell you to “buzz-off.”
- Some people are going to threaten to call the cops.
- Some people are lazy and although they are looking at you straight in the eye, they don’t have a clue what you just said to them or asked them to do.
- Some people will be reluctant to do business with you but they will agree just the same.
- Some people will be glad you asked…others will take offense.
- Some people won’t wait for you to ask and they will demand you to take their money.
- Some people are looking for someone like you who knows what they are talking about.
- Some people are shy, and are depending on you to make the first move.
- Some people just don’t know what to ask, what to say, or what to do.
- Some people are really glad that you came upon the scene.
This is what makes the world such a competitive planet. It takes all kinds. As long as you are not a crook, thug, or a dishonest ex-con, you have nothing to apologize for. Just stick to your knitting. Go out there and mix with the people. And keep on asking for the business. Never take rejection personally and remember, you are a professional.
Mike Marchev has plenty of stories, strategies and tactics to keep you on top of your game.
Mike will be conducting his 5th annual Travel Sales & Marketing Business Development Cruise, sailing the Freedom of The Seas from Ft. Lauderdale. Email him at email@example.com for complete details. Five cabins are still available.
Mike’s daily column is made possible by AmaWaterways.