Wow, it is hard to believe that a new year has already begun—one to be filled with endless possibilities and new terrain to be navigated. Business road maps are being completed; budgets are being worked on, and time management will quite possibly be at the top of the list of things that we, travel professionals, will continue to grapple with throughout the year.
My goals for this year are multi-faceted, but intricately connected. Time management is at the crux of every goal that I’ve set for myself, so I will speak briefly on a few strategies that I will utilize in order to maintain organization, and not be zapped by time wasters. They are not in any particular order, but are listed as items I’ve identified as being important to ensure I get through my day/week with the least amount of time wastage possible:
- Using the assumption that a lot of us may work from home, I will continue to treat my business as a business, thus making sure I get up every morning and prepare for the day as if I were leaving the house. That means, getting showered, dressed and mentally engaged in the work at hand.
- Leaving the house and networking with various people and organizations at least once a week.
- Having a small “to do” list that I complete at the end of every day, so that I will keep important tasks at the forefront of my mind.
- Updating my calendar(s) of important events.
- Completing difficult tasks in the morning, and not allowing them to languish day after day without being resolved.
- Politely removing myself from telephone conversations that are draining, and non productive.
- Avoiding the “Pick me! Pick me,” distractions that are time wasters.
- Picking up the phone and calling hot prospects.
- Asking for the sale and closing it.
- Remembering that this is a fun business (most of the time) and I should enjoy it!
Chanté Owens is co-owner of Chicks That Trip, and is an independent affiliate of Incentive Connection Travel. Chicks That Trip specializes in group travel, culinary & wine experiences, and major sporting event packages to the UK, France, Italy, Brazil, Puerto Rico, and select Southern Caribbean Islands. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit her website at www.chicksthattrip.com and her blog penned under the name, That Chick Té at http://chicksthattrip-lobbybarconfessions.blogspot.com/