The newsletter I picked up while cleaning a box I found in my basement read The Marketing Communications. It was dated 1987 and was written by a man named Pete Silver.
The title of this particular edition was 99 Ways To Out-Market Your Competition. It was written nearly thirty years ago. I read each numbered entry with great interest.
- Learn how to say who you are, what you do, and what your business does in less than 30-seconds. (Hmmm. Have you ever heard that one before?)
- Distribute more business cards. (Now there is a novel idea!)
- Plan creative ways to get more free publicity. (Interesting thought.)
- Become more active in trade organizations. (Duh!)
- Strive for perfection the way your telephone is being answered. (A no-brainer.)
- Interview job candidates thoroughly. (Have you heard anything new yet or anything you consider to be earth-shaking? I didn’t think so. Remember, this was written years ago.)
- Check the appearance of your office, and yourself.
- Produce a reader-benefit newsletter.
- Mail your newsletter to a well-crafted list.
- Write thank-you notes promptly.
- Clip articles of interest and send them to names on your prospect and client list.
- Invite a wide variety of guests to your “open” house.
- Use the best business stationery.
- Recruit the best people.
- Use radio effectively.
- Use the power of personal networking.
- Use direct mail effectively.
I’ll stop here to make my point. Anything new? Nope.
All good advice? You betcha.
Did you read anything that you readily agreed to but also recognize that you are failing to implement? I am afraid to ask.
There is nothing new under the sun except maybe something called Twitter. The growth and success of your business has, is, and will continue to be directly connected with your ability to deal with people sincerely, honestly, and effectively.
Your biggest problem remains: Not enough people know you are alive.
I was reminded once again by Pete Silver how incredibly simple this thing called marketing is.
Mike Marchev is the author of the sales book titled Become The Exception and is a popular speaker at industry events. You can receive a complimentary copy of his Special Report titled “Your 12-Word Marketing Plan.” Email Mike and put the number “12” in the subject box. Also, ask about his 3rd Annual Training Cruise coming in November. Mike@MikeMarchev.com.