“Empowerment is just another flavor of the month.”
The 3 Keys to Empowerment by Ken Blanchard, John P. Carlos, and Alan Randolph
Wrong! Empowerment is not a passing fad. It is a skill you must develop if you are to succeed in business and in life.
“Enabling” and “permission” are two words that come to mind when I think about empowerment. I suppose regardless of whether you are a member of a team or are a solopreneur, these two words come into play on a regular basis.
“Enabling” is a word normally used when referring to somebody supporting another’s bad habits. It is not usually used in a flattering fashion and therefore has many people avoiding this modifier.
In fact, “enabling” means nothing more than giving one “permission” to do something. In a way, it infers a lending of support.
How does this effect you?
It is up to you to build your future in the travel business just the way you envision it. But in order to do so, you must adopt, cultivate, and maintain the proper mindset. You have to “empower” yourself to do what needs doing, even though you may think that you are currently unqualified to do so.
You have to give yourself “permission” to extend beyond your comfort zone and flirt with that unpleasant feeling that comes with failure.
Here are just a few things I want you to give yourself permission to do which will lead to your personal empowerment:
- Contact five clients and ask them if there is anything you can do for them.
- Contact five prospects and send them an article of interest. (Their interest.)
- Take a long hard look at your website as seen through the eyes of your clients and prospects. (What is in it for them?)
- Share your expertise by “drafting” and then “editing” a travel related article. (Pick your favorite destination. This should come easily to you.)
- Contact your “favorite” preferred supplier and offer to take them to lunch. During lunch discuss how you can help each other “move the needle.”
After attempting these five business-development tactics, I can virtually guarantee that you will feel more empowered in building your profitable travel business.
Mike presents a business-building webinar on the third Thursday of every month sponsored by AmaWaterways. To receive monthly invitations send Mike an email with the words “business training” in the Subject Box. You will also receive a link to the recorded version.
For information on Mike’s Fourth Annual Training Cruise, email Mike at email@example.com with the word “cruise” in the subject box.