I find it hard at times to fathom just how fast the year is passing. It is September already, and the air is filled with footballs and soon to be falling leaves. Time’s flying and there isn’t much we can do about it. But there is something we can do with it.
Before moving forward, let’s take a quick look back by asking ourselves a few questions.
- What have you done for yourself lately?
- What have you done for your prospect’s lately to solidify the relationship?
- What did you do last week that made a difference? Remember, more of the same will get you more of the same. Does that “float your boat?”
- What can you do differently starting today?
- Are you going to do it?
Think of the remaining four months of this year as a “campaign.” Let’s build a campaign. Let’s develop a campaign. Let’s think in threes. Three sales letters. Three postcards. Three phone calls. Three ideas. Three is a number you can grab hold of. Three is a number your clients can grab hold of. Three is a number your employees can grab hold of. Think in threes.
This month I will be speaking to a room of medical device sales professionals in Clearwater, Florida. Now that’s a tough business. These folks are trying to capture the attention of busy doctors who have better things to do than talk to people attempting to sell them something. And 95% of them are running their own companies…they are their own bosses. What can I bring to this party that will prove to be meaningful?
That is a good question. After giving it some considerable thought, I decided to remind them of just three things.
- I am going to remind them to say hello with enthusiasm and confidence. This will set the tone for each and every call.
- I am going to remind them to anticipate all possible scenarios prior to answering the call. In other words, to think — and not just react.
- I am going to remind them to say goodbye with sincerity and warmth. This will cement the call as well as the relationship.
There will be more to my presentation you can be sure, but when push comes to shove, these three elements are essential to turn an unwelcomed call into a meaningful communication.
There is another word that drives success when it comes to sales. That one word is CONSISTENCY. The challenging part in honing a successful sales career is to ply your trade consistently whether you feel like it or not.
Well there you have it. Do something new, different, exciting, refreshing and fun this week. Think in threes. You will find your communications will soon be better received. And remember to 1) say hello with enthusiasm, 2) anticipate your prospect’s needs and 3) say goodbye with sincerity.
Mike Marchev has plenty of stories, strategies and tactics to keep you on top of your game.
For information on Mike’s 6-Week Online Selling Course, email Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “sales course” in the subject box.
Mike’s daily column is made possible by AmaWaterways.