While re-grouting my bathroom tile one Saturday afternoon, the following question popped into my mind: “When was the last time I actually had FUN?”
It seems the older we get the less time we spend having fun. Chores…work…obligations…duties…sleeping and eating fill up most of our days. Day after day. Week after week. Month after month. Year after year.
FUN! What a “yesterday” concept. If I’m not mistaken, I think I liked having fun. Maybe it is time once again to adopt a new mantra. FUN IS US!
Here are a few ways to introduce some fun back into your lives:
Let me count the ways!
- Meet a new person and “get into” their story.
- Lose the deadbeats/downers in your life.
- Close a new piece of business (making money can be lots of fun!).
- Call an old client simply to say “hello.”
- Write a “who gives a damn” letter just to see what comes of it.
- Make an attempt to meet your role model.
- Pick a role model, then return to #6.
- Surprise somebody (anybody) by writing a “thank you” note for a service you are still enjoying today, but was rendered some time ago.
- Dig in and finish the day’s work by 4pm. Then go out and take a power walk.
- Be nice to yourself. You may even begin to like yourself again.
- Shed three extra pounds in the next month. (This isn’t fun at the moment, but may prove to be the best fun of all in the years to come.)
- Buy somebody special in your life an unexpected gift.
- Begin to enjoy the process of doing business.
Quite honestly, in this day of overloaded email boxes, I am writing this message expecting that very few people are reading it. It is easier to lament the times and continue to bum yourself out than it is to give yourself a good shaking so you can “snap-out-of-it.”
For me? I am going to finish up the grouting and make sure I have more fun in the 30 or so years I have left on my dance card. I challenge you to do the same. No truer six words have ever been printed:
Life is what we make it. And to quote from an old country song, “If given the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.”
Mike Marchev has plenty of stories, strategies and tactics to keep you on top of your game.
Mike will be conducting his 5th annual Travel Sales & Marketing Business Development Cruise, sailing the Freedom of The Seas from Ft. Lauderdale. Email him at email@example.com for complete details. Five cabins are still available.
Mike’s daily column is made possible by AmaWaterways.