In yesterday’s column, I outlined the first five “wants” that most people look for. Picking up from my last column, Here are five more “wants”:
- People Want to Receive Timely Service: If I am as important as I like to think I am, then it is only natural for you to want to service me in a timely fashion. After all, I am a very busy person. You want my attention for years to come, supply me with the timely service I feel I deserve.
- People Want to Receive Orderly Service: If you don’t know what you are doing, go learn what you are paid to do. Don’t waste my time as you wander through your learning curve. I am in a hurry in most cases. Please do your homework prior to my entrance so you don’t waste my time. It is your business. You should know what you are doing.
- People Want to Be Helped: I don’t know how to make this any clearer. When in trouble, people like to be helped. When in need, people like to be helped. When faced with a snag, situation, or negative occurrence – people like to be helped. Help them.
- People Want to Feel Appreciated: Look! There are only 1,000 other places I could spend my time and my money. I choseyou. The least you can do is recognize that I have options and show a little appreciation for my decision to spend my time with you. Get it? People do not like to be taken for granted. Nobody likes to be taken for granted. Show appreciation… regularly.
- People Want to Feel Respected: Again, I am at a loss for words on #10. People like to feel respected. This kind of sums up the entire Want List. I try to show respect by addressing people as Mr. and Mrs. until they give me permission or direction to use their first name. People usually don’t need to be cow-towed to after they are shown that they have earned your respect.
Notice, in each of the ten “wants” listed above the words “be,” “feel”, and “receive” took center stage.
People like To Be… To Feel… To Receive. Give it to them.
Mike Marchev freely shares his experiences, strategies and observations with travel professionals in an effort to keep them on top of their game. For a complimentary copy of his 12-Word Marketing Plan send him an email at email@example.com.
Mike’s daily column is made possible by AmaWaterways.