Are you wondering if video is worth your time and effort? Hint: the answer is a huge YES!
If you’re like many travel & tourism pros you may be shy on tech skills or just shy to get in front of the camera. So many of us think more about the Fear and Gear than the Wow and Ka-Pow of video.
Fear of Video
Do you remember what your mom told you when you were little, ”Just try it, you’ll like it”? (ok, it worked on me with veggies) Guess what, it works with video too. Seriously, the more you do it, the easier it gets. My first videos took 7 or more shoots and the editing took me an hour. Now, it’s pretty much 1 shoot and a few minutes of editing. It still takes me awhile to glam-up!
The real truth is that it does get easier over time and that initial fear of being in front of the camera does decrease.
Hint: How about testing your video skills in your PJ’s! That’s right, no pressure as you KNOW you’ll be deleting it. It’s a great way to gain some confidence, worry-free!
Gear for Video
Let’s talk about some easy video tools that will have you ranking among the 94% of businesses see video as an effective tool.
- Invest in a phone with an awesome webcam or an external webcam. I have the Logitech 920 that provides HD quality videos. Here are others that are ranked highly.
- Invest in a quality audio microphone for your phone and your office. Here’s what I use. Check out these highly ranked microphones. Lapel microphones
Not sure if video is the right tool to grow your social reach and engagement? You may be in for a surprise when you tune in to this video.
Video without Being the Star
Ok, so you’re still choked with fear at the thought of creating videos, here’s some ways to benefit from video without being in front of the camera.
- Create a Video Slideshow. Using tools like Animoto, Smilebox, Magisto, Adobe Spark and even the Facebook Video Slideshow tool you can change your still images into short, snackable videos.
- Facebook Video Templates. Within your Ads Manager account there’s an option to create a short 6-15 second video using templates provided by Facebook. You simply supply the still images and a bit of text and Facebook will create a video ad for you.
- Turn your blog into a video. Your blog articles can quickly become videos with a tool like
- Explainer videos are a perfect way to introduce your viewers to your new booking engine, website or attraction. For Explainer video tools see the Animated Video tools guide below.
- Animated videos can be a fun way to relay stats, research or intangibles.
- Check out tools like Powtoon, Raw Shorts, Biteable, and Vyond.
- The 2 videos in this article were created by my team using Raw Shorts.
The Star is YOU!
Getting in front of the camera can be your best marketing tool ever! With the gear we talked about earlier, turning the camera around gives your fans and followers a chance to get to know you better. And we all know that people buy from people they know and like.
Whether you’re considering live-streaming video, 360 video or simply shooting video from your office or on a fam, here’s some ways to use video:
- Expert Interviews: Jump on camera with industry experts, clients or colleagues. Get prepared with these tips.
- Showcase videos: showcase a destination, tour, culinary option or event. Narrating the video yourself adds a personal touch.
- Tips & tricks: Provide relevant tips to help viewers pack a suitcase or even navigate a foreign culture.
Hint: having a strategy and style will make your starring role easier. You’re welcome to steal this strategy.
Video Ads that Rock
When you’re looking to grow your business, spending a few dollars on a social ad will help take your brand awareness to the next level. Creating that ad using a video will gain you more reach and engagement than a static visual ad.
So, you’re thinking ‘I just don’t have the time’. Can you afford NOT to make the time?
Facebook continues to make it easier to launch your own video ad campaign. Using tools like:
- Canvas Ads gets a make-over and is now rolling out as Instant Experiences. Watch for cool features like; Instant Forms, Storefront, Lookbook, Instant Storytelling, and Instant Customer Acquisition.
- Do you LOVE Instagram and Facebook Stories? Now you can kick-start your Facebook Story with an ad. Similar to Instagram Stories, Facebook Story ads will give you the opportunity to expand the reach of a video, single image or slideshow.
- Video Creation Kit in your Ads Manager account provides you with square or vertical templates and transitions. All you need to do is add your visuals and your logo. This ad type can be placed on either Instagram or Facebook.
- Not sure which of your videos for your next campaign will be loved more? Remember you can easily split test to learn which is most valuable to your fans.
- Not sure which combination of ad text and video will be loved more? Dynamic ads will mix and match your content and visuals and test them on your audience. A winning match will be presented to you.
Why Video Ads?
Not sure if you want to spend a couple of dollars on a video ad? You may be in for a surprise when you tune in to this video.
Today is the day to take your video production to the next level. Don’t get left behind. Here’s news from Cisco: By 2020, there will be almost a million minutes of video per second crossing the internet. Cisco adds that, by then, 82% of all consumer web traffic will be video.
What will be the focus of your next video and how will you advertise it to gain more reach?
Catherine Heeg, international speaker and trainer, focuses on social media marketing & communication for the travel and tourism industry. Join the conversation and connect with her at www.cmsspeaking.com and socially. Connect online for access to free social media resources.
When you ‘like’ her Facebook page you’ll have access to the latest social media news just for travel pros!