Dipping into the reader mailbag, one of the questions that I am most frequently asked is, “How do I communicate my value to clients when all they really want is the cheapest price.
All good salespeople ask themselves and can answer this simple question, “Why should a prospect buy from me?”
In all my coaching, webinars and writings, I talk about your ability to make yourself an integral part of the travel experience.
Hank Schrader a river cruise expert, shared how he does it, “Clients tell us that the Why Buy blog established our level of expertise and set clear expectations for our planning services. This usually results in a sale and repeat business!” With his permission, here is the link to his site as an example. https://www.dreamdestinations.com/blog-main/2018/11/27/why-buy-a-europe-river-cruise-from-us
This is an exercise I like to put my coaching clients through that you can do on your own. There are no wrong answers, just let them flow freely.
Take out a sheet of paper and:
- Write down everything you do as part of you job selling travel. Every step of every process.
- Write down all the services you currently or would like to provide to your clients.
- Write down all the places you have traveled. Cities, countries, the hotels you have visited or stayed, cruise ships you have toured or sailed.
- Write down what you did in those destinations. Tours, independent travel, restaurants you dined in, the hole in the wall bars where you had a local beverage.
- Write down the people you have met and know. Concierges, Hotel Directors, Tour Guides, Bartenders, Sales Reps, and Industry Executives.
This will help you see just how much knowledge, experience, and service you have to offer your prospects and clients.
The next step is to form a concise statement, a couple of sentences that will encapsulates “why” they should book with you or pay the fees you charge.
Here is an example. This was how we (my travel agency) described our value.
“We provide the same high-level service during the booking process and after the trip that our clients expect to receive on their vacation experience. We will take care of all of the details, before during and after, so you don’t have to.”
Take the time to get clear on your “Why” now so you are not scrambling for an answer every time a prospect asks, “Why should I buy from you?”
Dan Chappelle is a professional business advisor and best-selling author. His training and consulting firm helps develop sales focused business leaders and entrepreneurs in the travel and tourism industry.
His book, Get Your S.H.I.P. Together: The Wealthy Travel Agent Guide to Sales, is available on Amazon.com. For information on the Wealthy Travel Agent Academy’s business transformation programs, visit: www.DanChappelle.com