It was hockey Hall of Famer Wayne Gretzky (appropriately known as The Great One) and all time Ice Hockey Magic Man who once said, “You will miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”
I was reminded of this quote this past week as I took two shots…and scored both times. Let it be said that two for two is not the norm. Allow me to share my stories with you.
Two for twenty, thirty or forty might be closer to the truth. But just the same, if you can sneak a few past the goalkeeper now and then, I say “take them when you can and start your happy dance.
To speed things up while still relaying my message, I will resort to the old outline model.
Example #1: Incoming Email Solicitation
- Identified a future meeting as a potential (albeit, low percentage) opportunity.
- Shot a quick video and crafted an email of introduction.
- Requested a phone conversation.
- My purpose was to be selected as a speaker at an upcoming conference.
- I knew I was late…if not too late in raising my hand.
- I sent the email anyway.
- No response.
- Sent follow-up email (Another shot)
- Received dubious response.
- Shot third email.
- Received an invitation to chat over the phone.
- Score!!!!! (Not the meeting at this point. The purpose was to introduce myself over the telephone. Hence = “Score.”
Example #2: I was interested in crossing off another item on my personal “bucket-list.” I wanted to test the waters to see if I could “barter” my services for the trip itself.
- Identified person of position at target company.
- Identified a common acquaintance.
- Sent an email referencing our common acquaintance
- Received email back suggesting a level of interest.
- Scheduled phone call.
- Enjoyed the phone call.
- Was asked “when I wanted to go.” (Score)
- I plan to provide more value than expected.
In both instances my life would not have been altered or negatively affected if neither proposition ended poorly. In fact, they could not have ended poorly since I had nothing at stake. If my “shots” missed, I would keep skating and look for another opportunity to rear back, and let another one fly.
The truth is, I have many more than “two” winning shots recorded on my score card. The reason for this is because I have taken thousands of shots that have missed the net entirely. Some of which have even left the building.
Keep shooting people. And while you are at it, you might want to polish up your “happy-dance” because your day is just a couple of more shots away.
Need more uplifting reminders? Join my Inner-Circle Sales & Marketing Club. It is not for everybody but it definitely is for somebody. Perhaps that somebody is you.
Mike Marchev freely shares his experiences, strategies and observations with travel professionals in an effort to keep them on top of their game. For a complimentary copy of his 12-Word Marketing Plan send him an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY: To be placed on the distribution list to receive Mike’s Marketing Memo filled with tips and proactive ideas send him an email by CLICKING HERE.
Mike’s daily column is made possible by AmaWaterways.