Do you ever want to just give up on social advertising? Quit! Finito!
It just seems pointless and it doesn’t work anyway, right? Besides everyone is far too busy!
If that’s what you’re thinking, you’re not alone! Here’s some common reasons to stop advertising socially.
1) I Have Too Much Business Now
Last week I was talking with a travel pro and she was ready to give up on social marketing saying she had so much business she could hardly keep up. “Why post socially and advertise? I can’t manage the clients that I have now!”
So, quit! But…
- What happens when your clients age-out of travel?
- What happens when your clients think you’ve disappeared as they’re not hearing from you or seeing you on-line?
- What happens when your clients are enticed by another travel resource (a savvy travel consultant, a sexy app, a cool new ad) and stop calling you?
If you don’t care about the future of your business or want an early retirement, just stop posting and advertising.
If you do care and are too busy to post and advertise, here’s some social marketing tactics you can do in those couple of spare minutes you have while waiting for your client meeting to start or standing in line for coffee.
- Got 5 minutes? You can check these off in a flash and go from frazzled to fruitful.
- Got 14 minutes? Check out these 3 things you can do to boost your social presence.
- Got 29 minutes? Quick tactics to boost your visibility
2) My Clients Say They’re Too Busy For Social
The other issue many travel & tourism pros struggle with is the thought that their clients don’t really want to hear from them.
- Do your clients tell you they’re too busy to look at their social feeds?
- Do you feel as if you’re being too pushy when you post, advertise or send an eblast?
- I had one salesperson tell me their clients didn’t want to see them on video—go figure! Really!
While your clients may be busy, one 2018 report from GlobalWebIndex estimates that, on average, social media users spend 2 hours and 22 minutes online each day globally.
But you say, “My clients are boomers and millennials… they don’t have that kind of time.”
The vast majority of Boomers use social media regularly, find information through search engines, and spend a large portion of their free time online. In fact, on average they spend 27 hours a week online – that beats Millennials’ time by two hours!
I wonder if they tell you they’re so busy because busy is the new badge of honor? Or is it that ads and social posts don’t resonate with them?
Maybe it’s time to re-think how we see our clients’ needs! Maybe it’s time to:
- View your clients’ time as precious and post great information and not simply ads
- Target ad content that speaks to their needs and travel aspirations
- Focus on experiences and benefits so that your posts do
This will help you be more valuable to your fans and followers by providing the meaningful and memorable travel inspiration they want.
3) My Ads Aren’t Bringing Results
Well, if your ads aren’t working for you, stop advertising!
Stop advertising in the same way!
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Don’t go insane with your social advertising, simply change your methods.
We can no longer expect people to pick up the phone after seeing a newspaper ad in the travel section. Today we get to be more creative!
If your ads aren’t bringing the results you want here’s 3 tips to tweak them:
- Re-consider your expectations. Don’t expect to sell something immediately to a cold audience. Build relationships with brand awareness ads, informative content and a personal touch.
- Ensure your ads speak to your audience. Having the right content, but the wrong target audience is a recipe for failure. Align your message so that it speaks to the right audience. Simple adjustments to the words, tone and style can make all the difference between appealing to a Boomer versus a Millennial.
- Test, test, and test again. Wouldn’t you love to know which graphic will appeal to which audience? I’ll bet you’d love to know what words in your ad text will have more impact. Split testing and Dynamic Ads do the heavy lifting for you.
While the average consumer is bombarded with over 10,000 marketing messages every day, don’t give up on your own ads. Jump into the fray with ads that work for your unique audience.
Be Real Smart!
Your clients are waiting to hear from you with content they love! Don’t give up on them, your business or your social marketing!
Catherine Heeg, international speaker and trainer, focuses on social media marketing & communication for the travel and tourism industry. Join the conversation and connect with her at www.cmsspeaking.com and socially. Connect online for access to free social media resources.
When you ‘like’ her Facebook page you’ll have access to the latest social media news just for travel pros!