I could wax eloquent on this boast but in the interest of time, I will immediately address the subject at hand.
I believe today’s headline to be true and I can say this for five simple reasons:
1. I read a lot. I don’t care what books you read while attending Harvard, MIT, Wellesley, or Smith (I was a History Major at UMASS and for the past 40 years, I have yet to be asked a question about the Battle of 1812). I read books about people and their behavior traits.
I do want to know everything I can about people, sales, marketing, why people think the way they do, and how the different generations differ in thought and practice. The answer to all these questions comes as a result of reading. And I read a lot.
Do you read a lot? Or are you content on staring at your diploma from yesteryear believing your studies are a thing of the past?
2. I fail a lot. I refuse to stay within my comfort zone and play it safe. I am constantly trying new things both on and off the Internet. I believe that with failure comes learning. With learning comes success. I fail a lot. I learn a lot. I succeed enough.
Do you fail a lot? Do you learn from your failures?
3. I am coachable. Knowing that you don’t know it all is key. Being able to internalize constructive criticism while learning from others’ experiences is a skill worth developing. With being coachable comes the willingness to practice. I practice a lot.
Do you practice a lot?
4. I listen a lot. Most people simply wait their turn to speak. I listen a lot.
Do you listen a lot? Do you enter a conversation with the understanding that you already know what you know, and that the trick is to learn and benefit from what others know? The key is to develop a skill for “listening.” Go to school on other people.
5. I laugh a lot. The ability to find the humor in most situations is a skill that differentiates the true professionals from the amateurs. Humor drives a happy environment. Being confident enough to laugh at yourself places others at ease. I laugh a lot. Do you laugh a lot?
And there you have it. Five reasons why I believe I am smarter than you.
I believe that I read, fail, learn, listen, and laugh more than you do.
But as in everything I do and say, I may be wrong. I may not be smarter than you. In your case, I truly hope I am wrong. I want to believe that you read, fail, learn, listen, and laugh more than I do. Because if you do, you are on your way to a super-fine life.
Get on track. Then keep on track. Be smarter than me.
Mike Marchev freely shares his experiences, strategies and observations with travel professionals in an effort to keep them on top of their game. For a complimentary copy of his 12-Word Marketing Plan send him an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mike Marchev’s next business building webinar is on Friday, October 26, 2018. It will focus on the 9 Selling Strategies you can implement at once at no cost with very little effort. Click Here for details.
Mike’s daily column is made possible by AmaWaterways.